The New Pathways -- Team Collaboration Path

Reflection is the key to learning. We begin by asking these two questions, "What have I learned so far" to "What could I do differently". Time spent in reflection can teach us wonders.

According to David Klob's Experiential Learning Theory, "When a concrete experience is enriched by reflection, given meaning by thinking, and transformed by action, the new experience becomes richer, broader, and deeper."


Here are highlights of each Level pursued.

Level 1: Researching and Presenting - I spoke at the 'Seeing Eye to Eye' Conference and shared World Health Organisation's statistics: 285 million people in the world are visually impaired. Yet, 4 out 5 need not be blind with early detection and treatment.

Level 2: Active Listening - Basically one takes up the appointment of Table Topic Master to hone in your listening skills.

Level 3: Successful Collaboration - We had "brainstorming" session with EASB Toastmasters' Exco to explore issues on Membership Recruitment and Engagement. In Creating Effective Visual Aid, I did something different. Instead of the usual powerpoint, I produced a sheet of paper with instructions to tear it up blindfolded. I also shared a video with no narration to demonstrate the different modes of communication.

Level 4: There were two exciting projects, namely, Motivate Others - I did several team-building activities during 3-hour Train the Facilitators in Muar, Johor, and Building A Social Media Presence - I produced a less than 1-minute silent video on my learning from the early days to what I had learned with the new Pathways.

Level 5: Leading in Any Situation - I showcased what I did as Public Relations Chair, Rotary Eclub of 3310 since taking office on 1 July 2017. I highlighted the importance of PR in relation to Membership Recruitment and Retention. Lessons Learned is a rock solid programme. I facilitated discussion on our very successful Gift of Sight Nepal 2017 Medical Outreach. We looked at 'what when well' and what we could 'do it differently'. Such open dialogue is very important when we do our Gift of Sight Indonesia Medical Outreach later in 2018.

Indeed, the projects undertaken were quite diverse. They had given me the opportunity to develop as a person... not just as a Toastmaster. "What's Next?"

Now that I have done two Pathways paths, my next goal is to complete my DTM project in the shortest time possible. I have selected organising World Speech Day Singapore 2018 as the project. Many Distinguished Toastmasters are also members of the same working committee. So, I am looking forward to great fun in learning together!


Chew Ban Seng DTM
Past District Governor


Comments