The New Pathways -- Reflect On Your Path

Finally, I have reached the end goal with a final speech, Reflect On Your Path, for my Pathways Leadership Development. At its completion, I "earn" the Proficient designation for this path. Being "Proficient" simply means no more than having fulfilled all of the educational requirements including the required meeting roles.

For me, more specifically, it means that I am now a step closer to my end goal of receiving my 3rd Distinguished Toastmasters (DTM) title under Pathways. 

The purpose of this project is for the member to reflect on his or her growth during the completion of an entire path. The purpose of the speech is for that member to share some aspect of his or her growth during the completion of a path.

Let me list out my sharing in the following order, namely,

1. My accomplishments in Toastmasters.
Small things matter! Globally, I must be one of less than 20 persons who had completed at least a single Pathways path. Taking the bull by the horns is an exciting journey indeed! We fumbled... got up and finished the race. The greatest challenge was at the outset; logging in and getting started. With Pathways Guides giving some technical support (mind you, they are also learning!),  we learned each step of the way through exploration; much like when we were kids at our tender age. Each success gave us more courage to try something new as part of the learning process. Today, I am able to mentor anyone who is struggling with Pathways. I believe I have become a great Pathways resource in District 80!

2. My accomplishments outside Toastmasters.
The best part about Pathways is that Toastmasters International actually encourage us to do "real projects". I love this initiative. It gave me the opportunity to combine my other activities outside Toastmasters. I organised the Youth Leadership Program with ITE College East, helping the students to develop communication and leadership skills. I was also involved in several Rotary events and incorporated the projects which I managed as part of the lesson plans in Levels 3, 4 and 5. This was an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. If you ask me for a single word to describe Pathways, it would be, "FANTASTIC"!

3. What I have gained and learned through this exercise.
If we had stayed on the "old" traditional system, we would have missed the opportunity to learn about the new channels of communication. Pathways open the opportunity to engage in the social media. I would never have done a blog otherwise, for example. I also had the opportunity to engage the local media by doing Press Release and holding a Press Conference. 


4. What's next?
The future is ours to hold and have. It is really up to us. For me, I will continue to learn, build and engage in a new found love - social media communication. The world is NOW my stage!!  


Chew Ban Seng DTM
Past District Governor


Comments

  1. Congratulations for completing the 1st path.. Indeed pathways is fantastic as it motivates one to move on and not stop after you finish one speech as there is more in that level and it keeps you going and the more you do, the more you learned and so it is exciting.. Thank you for writing and inspiring your readers.

    Be your best as you step on forward to learn even more and to encourage others in this pathways path and beyond...God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly an inspiring journey. Toastmasters truly gives us so much more. I can't wait for Pathways to finally roll out in District 94, in March 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats lovely ! congratulations. I have truly enjoyed every bit of my Toastmasters journey . Its incredible - i feel like a new person :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment