The New Pathways -- Introduction to Toastmasters Mentoring

Pathways Level 2 introduces you to the Mentoring process...
 
Have you ever had a mentor? How did you feel? Were you comfortable? What or how did you learn in the process?

 
These are some of reflective questions you need to explore. Learning begins when you spend sometime investing on yourself. 

The mentor–mentee relationship is often mutually beneficial. Done with accountability, both mentors and mentees learn new ideas, see things from different perspectives, and find new methods of approaching people, topics, and situations. Learning new ways of thinking creates the opportunity for more self-awareness and insight into the way others think.
 
In this project, you need to do some self-reflection. You can share your experiences when you had your first mentor (not necessarily in Toastmasters). I shared my story as a young lad of 25 and had a mentor not by intention or design. Of course, at that time, I didn't even know what is a mentor!!

That experience of chairing Jaycees Infant & Child Care Exhibition project in 1975 changed my life. While I had plenty of struggles (including wanting to give up in the different stages of the process), the end result made all the challenges worthwhile. Because of that experience, I have become a better person and have become a champion on youth development. I see life differently.

Would I now use the same methods as my first mentor?

Definitely, not!! That was the way of old masters training their disciples. Only those who persisted and persevered saw the fruits of their labour.

If you want to fast track your career and achieve in life, you must begin with the end in mind. As a coach and mentor, I now understand... 


Chew Ban Seng DTM
Past District Governor
 
 
 
  

Comments

  1. Very interesting personal comment in this post.
    I also like the lenght. (yes, I am sometimes too long in mine)

    Biggest problem in this blog: one can not go from older to newer post. And too many with the same title. How can one know what is inside it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment